History moves along the in the small town of Berthoud, and another home has been added to the ranks of historic local homes.
During the research of the house we came to realize that the local people owning said house lived here while they had a home built that was more to their specifications and needs. It wasn’t until later in the history of this house that people stayed here for a longer period of time.
The land owner, Peter Turner sold the Lot 6 in Block 12 in August of 1890 to Charles Berner who sold it in March of 1891 to William Pulliam who was in aviation services. I also found out that he won a number of awards for flower arrangement at the fair. Pulliam a few years later bought Lot 7 with some improvements on that lot. The house was already started and the two lot combination with home, root cellar and Carriage house/outhouse was finished soon after. House completion is 1895 from all the estimates and loans.
Looks as though Fairbairn & Davis were responsible for the construction of buildings on these lots, Fairbairn and Davis owned a lumber business in Berthoud and Andrew Fairbairn built a number of houses here in town. It also came to light the Andrew was candidate for sheriff. They said he was a successful farmer and leading citizen in Berthoud.
William Pulliam was the son of Robert and Rebecca Pulliam who had a farm outside town and later sold the farm and moved to 820 Fifth Street. Pulliam sold the property to William B. Kerby (Nov. 1896), who appears to be related by marriage to the Pulliam family from evidenced found at the Berthoud cemetery.
Kerby later sold in April of 1898 to W.T. Bransom who was the Larimer County Sheriff & President of The Loveland Herald. In April of 1899 he sold the property to Margaret Hayes, who as of today I still haven’t found information on.
She eventually sold it to John Kernan Mullen in April 1904. He had a prosperous flourmill industry and was founder of the Colorado Mining and Elevator Company and at death worth an estimated 4 million dollars. It is believed that he purchased the home for his local employee to live in while a member of the staff at his flourmill, because Mullen had a home in Denver. Mullen sold the property to Robert T. Trask who was a bookkeeper in July 1908 then bought the home back in May 1914.
Mullen keep renting it out until May 1918 when he sold it to Ellsworth N. Maxwell, owned and operated a gasoline filling station and “tourist camp” (cabins) at 520 Mountain Ave. from 1927 through 1934. Maxwell sold it to J.D. Howell in Sept 1920.
Dr. James Howell was a doctor who had an office in the Rice building on Massachusetts Ave. He later sold the house to his son James R Howell in August of 1922, who served in WWI and later worked as a carpenter and janitor at the Berthoud High School.
He sold it back to his father in July 1934. His father then sold the house to Minnie Hollenbeck in Sept. 1938. Minnie’s husband George was a cook for the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad Company. She later sold the house to Nannie Culp, which even though it changes owners between her, her husband Ernest and her daughter it was owned by them till March of 1991. They came here from Missouri and purchased the Orton farm outside Berthoud, then bought a farm in Hygiene before giving up farming and moving it to Berthoud. After Nellie passed her daughter Dorothy sold the home to Philip E. Ranaldi in March of 1991. He sold it to Keith Sanders and then it was sold to the current owners in Jun 1993.
The house is a bungalow style that was popular from about 1890 to 1920. They had an open floor plan that was easy to convert with a closed in porch as part of some styles like this one. Usually one story, some did have two. No attached garage like ranches and sometimes referred to as craftsman style.
The only improvements was a garage added to the property in the early 1900’s and the change in siding during the 1950’s. A number of houses switch to the asbestos siding in the 1950’s before it was discontinued in 1960.
In the next few month we are hoping to add a few more to the town listing. More in the local Berthoud Surveyor.